Most New Beacon boys do not want for anything, yet their collective response when undertaking charitable work, whether it be for a fundraising activity or giving up time to perform to the elderly, is overwhelming.
In addition to regular collections made during Chapel services, pocket money donated on non-uniform days, cakes baked and sold, sponsored walks, reading and silences are some of the many different ways that funds are raised for needy causes. Sometimes national campaigns are joined, such as Comic Relief, and support is also provided on an annual basis, such as providing a filled shoebox of goodies for Operation Christmas Child.
Occasionally, requests are made for a specific cause and one of the many successes of 2013 was the raising of £13 500 to purchase a tractor for the people of Kondoa, Tanzania. The Bishop of Kondoa visited the New Beacon late in 2012 and explained the plight of his flock. This struck a chord and owing to the generosity of the New Beacon community the required sum was raised after many different events and activities organised by the boys and adults alike. The tractor has now been delivered and will not only help to increase the yield on their own farms, but will also be loaned to adjoining areas too.
Charities supported in recent years include:
- Shelter Box
- Younger Shelter Box
- Christian Blandford Foundation
- Samaritan's Purse.
- Remember Romania
- Hospice in the Weald (Pembury)
- Bridge Trust (Tonbridge)
- Wherever the Need
- Fair Trade
- Cancer Trust
- Childhood Leukemia
- The Ameca Trust (Chilli to Killi)
- Demelza House
- Dandelion Trust
- Children with Cancer UK
- Sport for Local Primary Schools
- Red Nose Day / Comic Relief
- Starlight Children’s Foundation
- Wherever the Need
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Kit Aid / Football Gambia
- St Nicholas’ Church in aid of children with AIDS (in Kenya)
- British Heart Foundation (via Rupert’s Lands End)
- Kondoa Tractor Appeal.
- Goliat Lusuko
- Kent Air Ambulance
- Christian Aid / The Bridge Trust
- The Leprosy Mission
- Poppy Appeal
- Neema Crafts
- Brooke Hospital for Animals.