As part of our World Book Day activities, we are asking all children if they would like to join in with ‘The New Beacon’s Big Read’ which is taking place from the 12 February to the 4 March 2021 and in doing so, help us raise money to support “Sevenoaks Larder”, a local charity.
The Sevenoaks Larder is a new food support service that helps residents of Sevenoaks who are struggling to pay for their weekly food shop.
Our principles are simple:
Fresh Food, Choice, given with Kindness & Compassion.
We believe that a single action can make a difference in the community, and collective actions can make the world a better place.
The New Beacon’s Big Read
We are asking boys to set themselves a reading challenge to complete by the 4 March 2021 which is World Book Day. Here’s a little step-by-step guide to help you get started.
- Step 1: Decide what your challenge is going to be. Some options could be:
- Reading a page of their book a day
- Reading a whole book they’ve chosen
- Reading one book a week
- Reading 10 minutes a day
- Choosing a set number of books to make their way through
- Reading the entire Harry Potter series!
There are other things you could do though. You decide!
- Step 2: Obtain Sponsorship: Tell family and friends about your challenge and ask whether they would like to sponsor you through JustGiving, if they are able. They can use this link:
Or type the following into your internet browser:
- Step 3: Don’t forget to keep us updated throughout the month on your progress. We’d love to see your photos too! Please send any photos to Mrs Manning (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs Harris (email@example.com) with your name and class.
- Step 4: Celebrate! – The challenge ends on 4th March, World Book Day. On Friday 5th March we will celebrate how much we have raised during our Celebration assembly and we invite the children of the PP & JS to dress up as their favourite character to celebrate!