What a joy to behold having the boys back at school! I hope you have all had a restful and enjoyable summer break. An especially warm welcome to our Reception boys and any new joiners.
We had our welcome back assembly on Wednesday where we looked at photos of new beginnings- a kitten who had just been born, a baby chick starting to fly, a caterpillar at the start of its life. We spoke about how the start of a new school year is an opportunity to have a new beginning. A new school year gives everyone a fresh start. We might want to change our behaviour, maybe by trying harder, joining new clubs, making new friends or setting ourselves goals. We might want to show more kindness, be friendlier or help out more.
A reminder that activities start on Monday. Any boy can attend ‘activities club’ or ‘prep club’ (previously referred to as Brothers’ Club) and be collected at any time- Pre-Prep boys from the Central Area and Junior School boys from the JS Library. All other clubs finish at 4:55pm. Pre-Prep boys should be collected from the Garden Pitch and Junior School boys from the Music block at 5pm sharp. Any older brothers will join their youngest brother at their collection point. Any boys remaining at school beyond this time will be taken to After School Club and parents will be charged accordingly.
Drop off and Pick up times
As a reminder, drop off and pick up times are as follows. You can drop off from 8am for Early Birds’ Club however if boys arrive before 8am they will be put in Breakfast Club and charged accordingly. For pick up in the afternoon, please arrive at your allocated time and not any earlier as it causes traffic congestion. If you arrive too early, you may be asked to drive around again.
Morning drop off
|8.35am accompany to door
|8.20am -8.30am Garden Pitch
|8.20am – 8.30am Garden Pitch
|8.20am – 8.30am Music Block
|8.10am – 8.20am Garden Pitch
Afternoon drop off
|3.30pm Music Block
|3.30pm Garden Pitch
|3.45pm Garden Pitch
|3.45pm Music Block
Wrap Around Care
Breakfast Club and After School Club can still be booked on the School website. Please book no later than the Sunday for the week ahead.
Dr Maslin (Director of Music) asks that parents read about music lessons and musical activities following this link.
Swim Squad Trials – Wednesday 13 September
Mrs Bridgeman and Mrs Leeson will be running a trial for swim squad. Any boy that has already been in swim squad does not need to re-trial, they already have a place. The trial is for any new boys who wish to try out.
Your child will need to be able to swim at least two lengths of front crawl, back crawl and breaststroke and have a basic butterfly stroke. We will be looking at technique for all strokes as well as stamina and speed.
If your child would like to trial, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place. Pupils in the Junior School will be collected from ‘The Street’ and brought down to the pool. Parents should pick-up from the pool at 4:30pm.
Early Warning – Individual and Sibling Photographs – Monday 18 September
This takes place in The Studio in the NBC and we request your son wears his blazer to school on this day. He will sit for the photograph wearing his blazer, but no jumper. More about this will be posted next Friday.
A few reminders for Reception parents
- A reminder to apply sun cream before coming to school, and that every boy should have a sun hat, fleece, water bottle and snack in school.
- When dropping off and collecting your boys, please do not park in the layby opposite the swimming pool, please park in the New Beacon Centre car park, to the left of the NBC.
- On Tuesday, 12 September, the boys will be starting swimming with Mrs Bridgeman. Please remember to bring their named swimming bag and its contents to school each Tuesday.
- On Wednesday, 13 September, it is Roald Dahl Day. Please could you have a look at home for any stories you may have, written by Roald Dahl as well as toys, puzzles etc., and maybe your son would like to bring these in to share with the class.
- Games will commence from Friday, 15 The boys will then need to come to school in their Games kit every Friday wearing their school shoes (including blue track suit). The boys will need to have a named pair of trainers (preferably white) for PE and Games and these will remain in school. For PE the boys remove their ties and put on their trainers.
- Please see the Reception Letter for all the fun things the boys have been doing during their first few days.
A note for Year 2 parents
We have a stock of waterproofs and Art aprons at school so please don’t feel you need to purchase your own.
Parent Information Evenings
We will host our annual Parents’ Information Evenings over the next two weeks. This is a chance to meet other parents in the year group and find out more about the daily running of the school and things to look forward to this year. They will all take place from 7pm in the Studio.
- Years 1 and 2 – Monday, September 11
- Year 3 – Monday, September 18
- Year 4 – Wednesday, September 20
Save the date
Please put these dates in your diary for upcoming Parent talks:
- Tuesday, September 26 – Nursery and Reception parents: ‘School readiness’ 2pm coffee for a 2:15pm start in The Studio
- Tuesday, October 3 – Year 1 and 2 : ‘How Best to Support your Child’ 2pm coffee for a 2:15pm start in The Studio
- Friday, October 6 – Reception parents and any new Year 1/2 parents: Read, Write Inc Information Meeting 2:15pm in The Studio
We look forward to a wonderful year ahead working with your sons and do get in touch with your son’s form tutor, or me directly, if you have any questions or concerns.
For specific matters, please see the grid below and email the member of staff directly.
Who to Contact
|Any IT/Tech related questions
|Clubs and Activities
|Wrap Around Care
|Nicola.email@example.com – for MS & SS
Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org – for PP & JS
and your son’s form tutor
|Permission for unusual absence, other than sickness, email Mrs Brownsdon
|Games and PE
Head Pre-Prep and Junior School